Chair: Joshua D Stein, MD, MS
The Patient Care Committee has subcommittees that focus on issues that pertain to our ability to care for our glaucoma patients from a regulatory or practice management point of view.
The following subcommittees and are currently in place:
1. POLITICAL AWARENESS AND ADVOCACY
Supports the Patient Care Committee by addressing issues related to glaucoma advocacy and government relations.
- Advocate and educate for patient issues with State and Federal agencies, including such things as:
- Access to glaucoma medications, laser, and surgical procedures, diagnostic testing
- Scope of practice issues
- Advertisement of provider credentials
- Glaucoma screenings, including targeting high-risk populations
- Planning advocacy activities when we visit DC for meetings there
2. DOCUMENT REVIEW COMMITTEE
- Generate rapid review mechanisms for all or some of subcommittee members to quickly review and comment on glaucoma-related documents from other organizations, for example:
- AAO PPPs
- AAO OTA
- USPTF documents
- Develop “portfolios” of current hot topics that have evidence base from either published literature, Cochrane reviews, meta-analysis, or consensus exercises that can be used for Payment Policy or Quality Assessment reviews. Keep literature current and available for other subcommittees to use.
3. QUALITY, EFFICIENCY AND PERFORMANCE MEASURES
- Develop ideas for new Glaucoma care Measures
- Present to AAO Performance Measure Workgroup
- Act as liason and resource for Workgroup
- Monitor new Profiling schemes implemented by various Insurers
- Provide members with tools to fight unfair profiling
- Make sure Insurer Quality Measures are implemented appropriately
- Interact with the AAO PPP and POC committees to make sure their documents reflect specific “Quality-related” needs in the way their documents are formatted.
4. HEALTH CARE AND PAYMENT POLICY
Supports the Patient Care Committee by reviewing and addressing health policy-related topics that can affect the ability of glaucoma sub-specialists to properly care for their patients with glaucoma.
- Integrate the work of the other subcommittees.
- Provide guidance and resources for the other subcommittees and their projects.
- Review and respond to insurer coverage policies when requested.
- Interact with the AAO Federal Affairs and Health Policy leadership when necessary or requested.